Professional Medical Assistant
Medical assistants perform a wide variety of clinical, administrative, and human relations functions, which keep physicians' offices, clinics, and other medical practices running smoothly.
This program is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, patient care procedures, pharmacology, medical office procedures, communication skills, as well as computer skills...
Clinical duties performed by medical assistants can include:
- Taking medical histories and recording vital signs
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during the examination
- Sterilizing medical instruments
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Instructing patients about medications and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Authorizing drug refills as directed
- Administering EKG's
- Removing sutures
- Changing dressings